LEADERS IN MEDICAL ESTHETICS
Veins are a vital, incredible part of our cardiovascular system, but as we age, they often start to weaken and fail. The veins beneath our skin create an interlocking transfer network that moves blood from our pumping heart to the rest of our body. Unfortunately, when they weaken, the vessels aren’t strong enough to move the blood to its next location, resulting in blotchy, enlarged, and blueish pools near the skin’s surface.
The removal or lightening of dilated superficial veins with Alma Lasers’ Harmony XL system is a procedure that involves using a laser. Advanced fluorescence technology (AFT) and cutting-edge laser technology make it possible to reduce and eliminate cosmetic vein problems in just one sitting. Vascular lesions, varicose veins, enlarged leg veins, and spider veins are unique because they are a physical problem that double as unwanted cosmetic symptoms. Women most commonly experience these cosmetic vein issues and they affect more than 50% of the entire adult population. While women are usually more prone to suffer leg veins outbreaks following pregnancy. Nonetheless, men are also enjoying laser vein treatment as part of their anti-aging regime. Improving overall cardiovascular health with diet improvements and an increase of activity for a healthy lifestyle do play a role in preventing vein appearance issues, but since it is a hereditary syndrome it cannot be completely avoided.
With the Harmony Laser Treatment, there’s no need for surgery, numbing, gels, or needles and you can go right back to normal activity after the 30-minute ‘lunchtime procedure.’
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Will laser therapy work on my leg or face veins?
Although there is no way to tell for sure which veins will respond, a full medical history prior to the treatment will help determine what you should expect. Prior surgery or treatment on your veins could affect the treatment outcome. In some cases, further testing may be recommended to determine if there are underlying venous problems.
How does the laser treatment compare with other methods?
This treatment is non-invasive and quick with no painful injections. With sclerotherapy, a small needle is used to inject each vessel with a sclerosing solution. Sclerotherapy treatments could take approximately 20-30 minutes and each vessel could require multiple painful injections.
What does the treatment feel like?
Treatments begin with the larger veins first, proceeding along the entire length of the vessel. Although many patients report little or no discomfort, some may experience a mild stinging sensation only when the laser pulse is delivered.
Are the results long-lasting?
Long-term success varies from patient to patient, vessel to vessel. Many of the vessels treated require only one or two treatments. Multiple treatments are usually required for optimum results.
How long do the treatments take?
Treatment time varies depending on the number and size of the vessels to be treated. Treatment sessions are generally scheduled for increments of 30 minutes.
How many treatments will I need?
In many cases, significant improvement is realized in as few as 1 to 2 treatments. In some cases new spider veins may appear and therefore additional treatments may be necessary. Treatments may occur at 8 week intervals.
PRE & POST CARE
PRE-TREATMENT & CONSIDERATIONS
- Avoid tanning your legs with either direct sun exposure or artificial tanning products for at least 3
weeks before and after your laser treatment.
- Shave or wax your legs at least 24 hours prior to your leg vein laser treatment.
- Do not apply lotion to your legs prior to having your laser treatment.
- Cancer, in particular, skin cancer
- Pregnancy (including IVF)
- Use of photosensitive medication
- Diseases which may be stimulated by light at 300 to 2940nm
- Prolonged exposure to sun or artificial tanning during the 2 to 4 weeks before treatment and post-treatment
- History of keloids or hypertrophic scarring
- Diabetes (insulin-dependent)
- Hormonal disorders (stimulated under intense light)
- Use of anticoagulants
- History of coagulopathies
- Immune deficiency disease or an immuno-compromised status
- Oral or topical use of retinoids (Accutane)
- Oral or topical use of steroids
POST-TREATMENT HOME CARE
- The areas that were treated with laser may appear as if they were ‘scratched’. There may be multiple ‘scratch’ like marks all over your legs. This is a very normal side-effect of the laser and usually subsides within 72 hours after laser treatment.
- Please avoid exercise, hot tubs, saunas, jacuzzis, hot baths and wine – for at least 48 hours after your laser treatment.
- Do not shave, loofah or scrub your legs for 48 hours after your laser treatment. It is okay to use lotions on your legs after laser treatment.
- Do not wear high heel shoes for at least 48 hours after your laser treatment. Please bring comfortable shoes to go home in after your laser treatment.
- It can take up for 8 weeks for the vessels that were treated to fade or disappear. Please be patient with this process and schedule your follow up treatment for 8 weeks from your first leg vein treatment.
Most clients require between 2-3 treatment sessions to clear the vessels on both their legs. The laser will only treat smaller veins and capillaries and cannot be used on larger varicose veins.
This treatment must be performed by a trained therapist. Our Body & Skin Specialists are trained therapists that specialize in aesthetic, non-surgical, non- invasive body transformation procedures.