Feeling like your skin is dull and lifeless? Wondering why it doesn’t shine the way it used to? Do you have a set of “go-to” Instagram filters to make your skin look better in photos?
Now you can get your glow back with SkinPen® microneedling treatments at Rejuvalase. This safe and effective, minimally invasive procedure, is performed in the comfort of our med spa with little to no downtime.
Face & Neck »
Face, Neck & Chest »
SkinPen is the first FDA-approved microneedling device, and many clients see results after just one treatment. Your skin will be looking so great that you can forget the Instagram filter and let your natural radiance shine through once again!
Our skincare specialists usually recommend the SkinPen for women and men of all skin types. This quick procedure is an excellent alternative for people who would like to avoid laser treatments or in addition to laser treatments. We can personalize your session based on your unique skin type, concerns, and goals to address a wide variety of skin issues including the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, acne scars, sun damage, large pores, and even stretchmarks!
Microneedling Skinpen featured on the View
Benefits of Microneedling
How Does Microneedling with the SkinPen Work?
SkinPen by Bellus Medical is the first FDA-cleared microneedling device. It causes controlled micro-injuries that stimulate your body’s natural wound healing process while minimizing cellular damage. The result is the effective remodeling of scar tissue while keeping the overall structure of the skin intact.
There are three phases to the wound repair process:
- Phase I: Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow, and begin to create new tissue.
- Phase II: Proliferation. The wound is re-built with new granulation cells, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
- Phase III: Remodeling. The wound is replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels.
Best of all, SkinPen works. Ninety percent of subjects in the clinical trial would recommend the procedure to family and friends.
Is Skinpen microneedling for me?
During the clinical trial for SkinPen, 90% of patients reported an improvement in the appearance in their acne scars at the end of six months and would recommend this procedure to friends and family. Patients love that SkinPen is a minimally-invasive treatment, and most treatments take about 30 minutes.
BEFORE AND (HAPPILY EVER) AFTER
We know, right? For more stunning results, check out these before and after images.
What Can I Expect?
Microneedling is your new best friend when it comes to combatting the appearance of facial acne scars. Ask for SkinPen by name to get the impressive results demonstrated by our clinical study and the safety of the first FDA-cleared device. Here’s what you can expect from a SkinPen treatment:
- A plan for optimal results. Your treatment provider may recommend a course of procedures based on your individual goals. Maintenance of your procedure might require multiple treatments.
- A comfortable procedure. Based on your needs, your provider will likely apply a topical numbing agent to the treatment area.
- A short procedure time. The treatment will likely take about 30 minutes.
- A mild sensation. Most clients report feeling only the slight vibration of SkinPen during the procedure.
- Minimal post-procedure effects. The skin will appear slightly pink to red immediately post-procedure, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn. Additionally, the most common treatment responses experienced were dryness, rough skin, tightness, redness, itching, peeling, discomfort, tenderness, and burning. These conditions resolved over time without any further complications. Please see patient labeling for detailed safety information.
- Soothing aftercare. Your clinician will provide Skinfuse LIFT, a clean, non-cytotoxic hydrogel used to prevent the skin from drying out post-treatment.
- An effective post-procedure protocol. Your provider might recommend an aftercare regimen. Ask about Skinfuse, Bellus Medical’s 90-day protocol specifically formulated to support your skin following microneedling.
What is MICRONEEDLING WITH PRP
Instead of using hyaluronic acid or Vitamin C serum, Microneedling can also be performed with PRP (platelet-rich plasma from your own blood). PRP is created from a person’s own blood and is a concentrated blend of plasma cells and specific growth factors. First, a small amount of blood is drawn into a sterile tube by one of our Therapists. The tube is placed in a special centrifuge that spins and separates the blood components into red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelet-rich plasma. While your Platelet Rich Plasma is being “spun”, your skin will be gently cleansed and prepared for the treatment. The Platelet Rich Plasma is then used in conjunction with Microneedling to deliver unsurpassed, nonsurgical facial rejuvenation, or scar revision.
PRP Therapy with Microneedling – similar to the Vampire Facial – treatment will take about 60 minutes. There will be 20 minutes of numbing, followed by 15 minutes for the microneedling to be performed. The PRP is then applied to your skin like a Masque. This takes a few minutes. Since PRP stimulates your body to produce its own natural collagen, the results are gradual. You will start to see results about one month after your treatment, with full results at three months. We generally recommend 2-3 treatments spaced about 4-6 weeks apart for you to see the full effects. For very deep lines or scars, you will usually need 4-6 treatments in total.
Frequently ask questions
What does the procedure involve?
Numbing cream may be applied 30-45mins. prior to micro-needling to lessen discomfort. For better results, we use a collagen-stimulating product like Hyaluronic Acid. A small handheld pen-like device with a sterile, disposable tip with 9 tiny needles is then used to pierce the skin. Our needling pen’s multi-speed and adjustable needle depth allow needles to pierce the skin’s layer and increase the absorption of products. After the treatment, soothing Hyaluronic acid or Copper Healing Gel is used to hydrate, heal and protect the skin.
What will I look like after the treatment?
Most clients will experience redness and mild swelling in a similar way as mild sunburn for 24-48 hours and there may be minimal pin-point bleeding and/or bruising. Within a week or two, you will notice that your skin is smoother and more radiant looking but the full effects won’t be seen until a few months later.
What is the downtime after Microneedling treatment?
The inflammatory reaction of the skin is extremely short and fades significantly within hours from redness to pinkish that may last for 12 to 48 hours. Hyaluronic Acid based products are recommended to assist with redness and possible dryness.
How Many Treatments Will I Need?
Some clients require only a single treatment to achieve optimal results. However, most clients will benefit most from a series of 4 treatments, spaced 3-4 wks apart.
For clients with deep acne scarring, wrinkles, or stretch marks we recommended 6-8 treatments at 3-4 wk intervals.
What effects does the Microneedling have on the skin?
• stimulates tissue regeneration
• disfiguring scars, especially acne scars can be improved as new collagen fibers elevate the depressed scar tissue with the periphery skin
• pore size reduction
• improves the appearance of stretch marks
• improves skin texture and reduces the appearance of wrinkles
What are the side effects of the Microneedling procedure?
There are virtually no negative side effects, and none have ever been reported in over 150,000 procedures performed worldwide.
Are there any reasons you would not be a candidate for Microneedling?
You would not be a candidate for Microneedling if you have any Cardiac/Vascular Condition, if you are pregnant, if you have a history of keloids, have skin cancer/lesions or any active bacterial or fungal infection.
Can you have Microneedling performed the same day as any of our other Medical Services?
You most definitely can have micro-needling combined with other services.
However, we recommend you wait 1 week before/after any Dermal Fillers as well as 2 weeks before/after Laser Genesis. Please consult with the Rejuvalase staff when booking and be sure to mention wanting multiple services.
PRE & POST CARE
The information provided should be followed by all clients receiving a Microneedling treatment to ensure the health of your skin and the success of your peel.
- Do not use tanning beds or have extended sunlight exposure for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Do not use retinol or Vitamin A for 3 days 1 week prior to treatment.
- Avoid the use of NSAIDS, such as ibuprofen 1 week prior to treatment.
POST-TREATMENT HOME CARE
- Wash face thoroughly a few hours after treatment. Gently wash the area with tepid water and gentle cleanser to remove all serum. This will improve the appearance of the skin and allow for better absorption of post-procedure serums.
- Mineral make-up can be applied the following day.
- Day 1-3 – Skin may be dry and feel tight. Flaking may occur. This is normal. Frequent use of recommended serums will help alleviate any discomfort.
- Day 2-3 – Return to a regular skincare routine. Retinol is optimal during this time and suggested.
- Avoid alcohol-based toners for 10-14 days.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 14 days post-treatment.
DAY 1: Erythema and red appearance. Severity may vary.
DAY 2: A red/pink hue may persist and look like a moderate sunburn. Swelling may be noticeable.
Day 3: Skin can appear pink or return to normal color. Swelling subsides.